Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Book of the Moment: Dark Swan: Storm Born comic series Issue #1 & #2 by Richelle Mead


Title: Dark Swan : Storm Born Comic Book series Issue #1 & #2
Authors: Richelle Mead and Grant Alter
Art by: Dave Hamann
Publisher: Sea Lion Books
Format: pdf
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Source: Publisher
Interest: Author and Graphic Novel


Synopsis:

Eugenie Markham never asked for any of this. Until now, she''s been content with her job as a freelance shaman, battling and banishing Otherworldly creatures. When a prophecy suddenly makes her the Otherworld''s most popular bachelorette, Eugenie finds herself fighting off unwanted supernatural suitors, as well as the evils that begin emerging from her past...
~Amazon

My Thoughts:


The last comic I read was probably when I was in 5th grade and I had this huge Calvin and Hobbes obsession. I mean, I would read stack after stack! And thanks to the awesome publisher behind providing me these comics, I can get back into reading comics again! Er, graphic novels, I should say...

While the Storm Born series isn't YA, I still wanted to read it because if you have been reading my blog for a while now, you can see how much I LOVE the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. And of course if I have any other opportunity to read any of her other books, then I would grab at it!

This series has a more adult element to it and there are certainly things you would read that aren't in your typical YA books. Swearing, sex, the while sh-bang! But for me, I didn't mind. So if your a person that isn't comfortable with that stuff, then I suggest you go read some Calvin and Hobbes.

I loved Eugenie.
Period.
The characters I tend to like most in any type of novel, are usually strong, confident, and bad ass. Eugenie portrayed all of those qualities while still being true to her feminine side. I started off this comic feeling a little wishy washy and thinking "is this really my kind of thing?" But then when I started reading more, I realized I loved it! Richelle Mead has once again entrapped me in her mesmerizing, spunky, and quirky writing, making fall in love with how she can show that girls can be strong and bad ass too!

Eugenie reminded me a little of Rose from the Vampire Academy series, what with the similar need to protect others at any cost and just being truly strong, independent, and headstrong young women! If your anything like me, I get a little tired after I read a dozen books with the main character always being the same, typical, insecure, and teen angst filled girly. It just gets boring after a while. But reading Dark Swan was like a breath of fresh air! I mean, we need more confident girls out there! And at my young age, that's saying something...

I'm so glad I made the choice of getting back to reading graphic novels because it was fun, entertaining, and the art was just wicked! It makes me want to prioritize where my art skills are heading...

Thanks again to Sea Lion Books for providing me this series and I can't wait to read more and tell you guys more about it! May there be more comic book reviews to come...


Here's the cover for Storm Born issue #2:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11