Monday, July 18, 2011

Book of the Moment: The Maze Runner by James Dashner


Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Hardcover: 374 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Released Date: October 6, 2009
Source: Library
Interest: Blog Buzz and Synopsis



Synopsis:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

~Goodreads



My Thoughts:



I have been waiting such a long time to be able to read this book and I am finally glad I was able to after weeks of slow and exhausting anticipation.
I don't read many science fiction books and when I do, I tend to read more of the "end of the world" type books, like the Gone series or The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I don't really get geeked up about sci-fi...
 
 
But The Maze Runner?
 
 
Holy Comoly...
 
 
This book was just crazy! This book just wrapped around my head and whenever I wasn't reading this book, I was still thinking about it. The anticipation, the action, and the mystery all combined is sort of mind blowing!
 
 
When you read this book, the reader is always one step behind the main character. Usually it's the other way around and I can guess what might happen in the book before the main character does. But in this book? Hell no. Your just as confused as Thomas, the main character, and you are going through the same mysterious journey as Thomas. Like I said, the reader is always one step behind, so you never know when you going to be a huge slam of surprise get shoved in your face.
 
 
Thomas is likable character. He's not annoyingly arrogant or sensitive and he seems like an average guy. But he's definitely not. He's one smart kid and he knows how to survive. It's embedded in his head and he reacts smartly to any situation. It was fun reading through his point of view. I found my self repeatedly being impressed by his quick thinking.
 
 
But truth be told, if I was put in this situation, I would probably get gobbled up by one of those nasty Grievers in a blip of a second. The world that is outside their little bubble of what is called The Glade, is scary and menacing. The one thing that keeps everything in line, is Order and Order is what the guys in this book have to believe in. The situation is just crazy confusing and with the scary, evil things called Grievers topping that, The Maze is one big scare fest! At least for me...
 
 
I thoroughly loved this book and I had just a blast reading it! This book made me have a new respect for sci-fi and from now on I will not always relate sci-fi books with geeks and glasses...



I feel quite accomplished. Thanks James Dashner!




Does this sound good? Buy it from your local bookstore!
Shop Indie Bookstores

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11