Sunday, July 3, 2011

Book of the Moment: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released Date: Febuary 1, 2010
Source: Library
Intrest: Blog Buzz





Synopsis:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
 
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
~Goodreads


My Thoughts:



I just kept hearing SO MUCH about this series and how awesome it was that finally, I had to read it. I thought the cover was a bit much though...The girl is super pretty and every thing but I would be a little hesitant about reading this in public. It's a little to flashy, flashy for me to handle.

The main character Megan wasn't all that spectacular to me. There was nothing really about her that made me love her as a protagonist and she was rather bland. All I could think of when she wanted to rescue her brother from the evil fairy people was of the movie, The Labyrinth. You know, the one with David Bowie and that one chick with the really fuzzy eyebrows? Yup. She was painfully shy but I will give it to her, she was a determined little thing! That was really the only trait I admired about her. Hopefully, my view will change of her when I read the rest of the series. Who knows, maybe she'll end up impressing me. She is pretty witty...

I could also tell from the start that this series was going to have a major love triangle in it. First there is Puck, who is like THE original Puck from Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream. He's funny, witty, and is a guy you would like to have around. He had a lot of witty banter up his sleeve and I really thought he was a great character.
Then there is Ash. Dangerous, cold, and mysterious Ash. Are you already swooning...??? Megan is obviously falling for this hot throb and the forbidden romance just makes the passion even more entertaining to watch. The Ash encounters were definitely the more finer points of this book. He made the book not become forgettable. Because Ash is a very memorable guy, if you know what I mean...

Once again with the adventure, all I could think of was The Labyrinth. I kept expecting this Iron King guy to be like David Bowie with skin tight pants enhancing his, ahem, asset. I swear, if you watch that movie you will know what I'm talking about! I thought the journey was a bit to cheesy and fairy tale like for my taste but it was alright. It definitely wasn't one of my more favorite adventure books. But it was alright. Meh.

Although my thoughts on this book weren't spectacular, the ending made me definitely want to read the second book! My thoughts just kept going to this,
 "what will happen to Ash and Megan. what will happen to Ash and Megan. What will happen to Ash and Megan.whatwillhappentoashandmegan.whatwill..."

You get the idea.

All in all, I recommend this book to someone who wants to read a new and fresh fey related series! I can't wait to start reading The Iron Daughter!





Does this sound good? Buy it from your local bookstore!
Shop Indie Bookstores

1 comment:

  1. I have read the novella (Winters Passage) and I now have this on my kindle, I think reading the novella before the others was one of the worse decisions EVER, but never mind. I can't wait to get stuck into this.

    It is great to have a break from the vampire novels and have the fairies taking a bit of the spot light IMHO :)

    Thanks for the post, can't wait to get stuck in now

    Loved the Labyrinth reference, that is one of my FAVOURITE films. ;)
    :)

    Blethering About Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11