Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book of the Moment: Trapped by Micheal Northrop


Title: Trapped
Author: Micheal Northrop
Hardcover: 232 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Released Date: January 1, 2011
Source: Library
Interest: Synopsis



Synopsis:

 The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive....

Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision....
~Goodreads



My Thoughts:


I was expecting this book to be kind of scary and the type of book that makes the hair on the back of your neck raise and shiver in anticipation. But sadly, it did not have any of those effects on me. I thought this book would be like the Gone series which makes me do all the things above and I was disappointed that this book wasn't that fear inducing!

When you read the first chapters and the main character, Scotty Weems,  talks about this "devastating ending" and he keeps going on and on about it, I kept thinking that maybe the trapped kids would start eating each other. No joke, that's what I thought. Cannibalism. But as you read on, you kind of realize that's not the big finale and it's not going anywhere there. I mean c'mon, they're stuck in a school and schools have cafeterias, so I'm assuming that they will be somewhat well fed even if cafeteria food does suck...

I liked how this book was a book about survival though. If your in high school or just think back to high school, this book would sort of be like what would happen in any body's case. It made me never want to stay after school during a huge snow storm. You know when your watching a horror movie and you always yell at the characters to not to open that door or walk into those woods? I just remember myself doing the same thing when I was reading the beginning of the book. "No you stupid kids, you do not have to fix your stupid go cart! Go home and eat some cookies and drink hot chocolate!" But of course if they had done that, what would the story end up being like?

Having to sleepover at your high school for a week is nightmare- ish enough, but having to do so when the sky is dumping snow the size of pools is just down right scary! I couldn't stop reading because I was just anticipating this horrible ending and I tore through the pages. This is a relatively easy book so I finished it in like 2 or 3 hours but it was good. However, I hated the ending and I just thought it was so abrupt! It just ends like a slam in your face. I just went waahhh is that it?

This book is a fun little book to read on a rainy or snowy day! It's like The Breakfast Club meets The Day After Tomorrow! Which is an excellent combination if I might say so myself...



Does this sound good? Buy it from your local bookstore!
Shop Indie Bookstores


1 comment:

  1. I've had my eyes on this for a while. I might need to pick it up now. Great review :D

    Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11