Monday, May 23, 2011

Book of the Moment: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson


13 Little Blue Envelopes is a charming little treat of a story written by the author, Maureen Johnson.

Ginny has received 13 little blue envelopes from her Aunt, the first one envelope containing 1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket to England. But the thing is...her Aunt has been dead for a while now...
Upon receiving these little envelopes, Ginny decides to take on her Aunts proposal of adventure through out Europe. Ginny is not allowed to open all the envelopes at once but must open the next envelope each time she finishes a task her aunt has set out for her. Her journey through Europe begins in England where she meets one of her Aunt's friend, Richard. From there she begins each task, some mortifying yet she learns something from each one. She also learns a little bit about her Aunt every time she reads one of the letters, feeling just a little bit more connected to her every time.
She then meets Keith, a comical hooligan whose play Starbucks: The Musical is just as whimsical as himself. Encounters with him almost end in near disasters but that doesn't stop the kindling feelings she has for him. And she knows it's bad since she probably won't ever see him again...
She travels to Scotland, Amsterdam, Rome, and just about every other fascinating country in Europe. And each place she lands in, brings surprises, memories about her aunt, and tidbits that she never knew existed in her aunt. After learning all these things about love, life, and herself, what will the last envelope contain? Will it solve this mystery of why her aunt sent her on this journey? Or will Ginny figure it out for herself.
Find out in 13 Little Blue Envelopes!

I've always seen this book at my local library but never thought twice to pick it up. But recently, I read a book review for this book and it just sparked my excitement on reading a book about love, travel, and self discovery all packed in one book. It was just my kind of thing! I thought this book was charming and different, something I have never read before! Traveling through Europe and experiencing all this is definitely something I want to do when I get older now. To look back on your life when your old and to know you had this experience would be amazing! Mmmm...well I shall dream of this...
However, I thought the character of Ginny was very bland. I feel like she had no personality! She was just very plain to me. The only time you get a peek at what she's really like is when she is writing a letter to her best friend. But the exciting background and fun in the story made up for it! I loved Ginny's love interest Keith and thought he was especially wacky. If I ever met someone like that, he would definitely be a keeper! I mean, you don't just meet a guy who is man enough to wear a kilt everyday!
This book was a fun, charming, and a fresh read and I promise you, no matter how old you are, you will want to have an adventure like this! I can't imagine who wouldn't!

I give it a 4 out of 5 CHEWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11