Saturday, April 16, 2011

Book of the Moment: Marked by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast


Marked is the first book in the dark, vampire- esque series, House of Night, by mother daughter duo, P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast.

The book opens on sixteen year old Zoey Redbird when she is walking down her normal high school with her normal best friend until she is met by a "Tracker" at her locker who Marks her as a fledgling vampire. At the sudden turn of events, Zoey must leave her whole normal life behind and join the House of Night, a school for vampire fledglings. But she is the odd one out because her Mark, which all vampires and fledglings have, is already filled in. All the fledglings gawk at her like she is some freak of nature and it doesn't help the fact that Zoey is just like any other teenager and just wants to fit in.
Zoey makes new friends who are quite loyal and also makes a enemy. Aphrodite in particular who is hell bent on making Zoey's life hell. It doesn't help that Aphrodite's really hot ex boyfriend has taken an interest in Zoey either. With all this piled on already, she must also try figure out the powers that the Goddess Nyx has given her and why she was granted them. Is it simply to take down the hag from hell, Aphrodite or is there more to come?
Zoey's life has been turned around and she must deal with the powers she has been given to make the best out of every situation. Even if it means being a freak of nature.


I thought this book was very typical. I mean it's not as horrible as Blue Bloods but this series is no where as amazing as the Vampire Academy series. I guess I was trying to find a book series that could replace my love for the Vampire Academy series, but it's a no can do. Marked was a good book but it really didn't make me want to read the next book. I personally thought the writing was all over and just a little weird. It was also super stereotypical chick lit. There is the mean chick, the mean chick's hotty ex who like the main chick, the somewhat loser group the main chick get in with, and just very typical chick-y lit material. I've heard the same plot line over and over again. I wished I could've heard something different and not just typical girly-ness shiz. I was going to read the next book, Betrayed, but I just really don't want to now. I'm not saying Marked was horrible but my opinion personally is that I've heard the tire full chick lit material before. So I'd rather not. It would've been a good book series for me when I was in sixth grade. I would've ate it up!

I give it a 2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

go indie

indiebound

Search This Blog

PageViews since 3/22/11